Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Like A Fish

I took swimming lessons as a toddler, and was a regular swimmer up until my high school days. But somewhere aong the line swimming was relegated to an annual past time activity, to be done only during summer holidays and forgotten afterwards. So it never really stuck on. Cut to seven months ago, when out of the blue, I just decided to start swimming again in a local pool here in Bangalore. This time it did stick, and what started out as mere routine, grew into a habit, and is now nothing short of a full blown addiction! I honestly believe that swimming is the best way to exercise your body & mind, and I make my case now, with a view to convincing you!!

First - Swimming is a symmetric exercise. Regardless of the stroke you swim, both hands are utilized equally and both the legs too! This is something that no other sport does. Racket games like squash and tennis are tremendous exercise, but they are hopelessly skewed to one side of muscles, at least on the upper bod.

Second - Buoyancy reduces your weight in water by well over 50%, which means swimming puts very little strain on your bones and joints! Attention to those people with obesity or joint problems - Inside the water you are at a level playing field with everyone else. I myself have a slightly problematic right knee (resulting from an injury while trekking down a volcanic mountain in Bali) - so although running and cycling are not ideal for me, l can swim as much as I want!

Third - Since your entire body is meeting resistance in the water, swimming well and truly is a full body exercise. From limbs to torso to back - all the major muscles are used to propel you through the water.

Fourth - Swimming will tone your body like nothing else, especially if you do a combination of front crawl and breast stroke. It does not build strength and muscle in the way that weight training at the gym does, but it improves your stamina tremendously and definitely increases your strength to some extent.

Fifth - There is one more aspect to swimming which is truly unique. Assuming you swim a correct stroke, be it front crawl or breast stroke or butterfly (and you must learn at least one stroke properly), swimming induces rhythmic breathing and is therefore truly a meditative exercise. Anyone who has dabbled in Yoga knows that it all starts with breathing exercises, because breath is the most basic requirement of life. Well - swimming exerts you physically and induces rhythmic breathing at the same time. Pretty soon you will notice it happens unconsciously without you having to strive towards it. I liken it to meditation because it empties my mind of all thoughts and when I emerge from the pool after an hour, I am completely rejuvenated.

Lastly and most importantly - Swimming is super duper fun!!!

There are several other benefits to swimming which you can read up on, but the ones I've listed are based on my own personal experience. If it sounds even remotely interesting to you, I suggest you find a pool near you today and give it a go. And if you need to learn, pay for lessons from a good coach. It'll be the best investment you've made in a long time :-)

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree!! Though I have to admit that observation#1 was something I never realized or thought about..

    And yes, great to find you writing again.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more Bugga. Can't relate that much to our rocket fever but this I can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Bugga! Nothing compares to swimming!

    ReplyDelete