Monday, January 14, 2013

My Top Ten

Okay so this is my second attempt at compiling a top ten favourite movies list. I think I've managed to weed out some of the undeserving candidates from the first draft and make way for some other masterpieces.

This has been a long time coming. I cannot possibly number this list because every movie in it is special to me.So here they are in no particular order.


The Shawshank Redemption - What a triumph of hope and the human spirit! Leaves you inspired.
Best Line - "So go ahead and stamp your form sonny. Coz quite frankly, I don't give a sh*t!"
 
The Green Mile - Very touching and at times, very brutal. There are a few scenes which always make me tear up. This movie is an epic.
Best Line - "May God have mercy on your soul ...... *long pause*...... Roll On Two"

The Departed - Scorsese's masterpiece in my opinion. When you put Mark Wahlberg, Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alec Baldwin and Martin Sheen into a cops vs. criminals action thriller you get pure unadulterated entertainment.
Best Line - "My theory on Feds is that they're like mushrooms. Feed 'em sh*t and keep 'em in the dark"

Blood Diamond - This movie has everything - drama, suspense, action, tragedy and a small seasoning of humour too. Solomon Vandy walking up to the podium gets me every single time.
Best Line - "I am exactly where I'm supposed to be"

The Matrix - Groundbreaking effects and an insanely awesomely kickass plot. A cult movie. Full Stop.
Best Line - "Buckle up Dorothy. Coz Kansas is going bye bye"

V For Vendetta - Ideas are bulletproof.
Best Line - "Voila! A humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain............you may call me V"

The Godfather - The original gangster film that inspired countless more. Michael's transformation is simply terrifying to watch.
Best Line - "It's the smart move. Tessio was always smarter"


American Beauty - Pure work of art. I guess this one is my all time favourite. The journey of Lester Burham from a frustrated and confined zombie existence to that of liberation, freedom and ultimately redemption - is just amazing. You just do not want the film to end.
Best Line - "You have no idea what I am talking about. But you will, someday."

Gladiator - Russel Crowe's immortal. A bloody & savage tale of one man's limitless greed for wealth and lust for power and another's burning desire for vengeance. This will have your emotions racing.
Best Line - "The frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick."

The Last Samurai - The story of a disillusioned soldier who fights only for money and a disciplined warrior who fights for principle, and what happens when their paths cross. Once again an emotionally charged film that raises some truly profound questions about the way we live out our lives.
Best Line - "When I took this from you, you were my enemy."

Movie that almost made it - Notting Hill, Fight Club, Seven, Twelve Angry Men, The Silence of The Lambs, The Last of The Mohicans and The Bourne Trilogy.


Would love to get some feedback on this list!!

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this.. now I know which movies I need to watch.. If you have one such list for novels.. I'll be the first one reading the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you like kinds of the sports movies?

    ReplyDelete